Final presentation residency May & June 2014
Fundação OBRAS, Evoramonte, Portugal

With this final presentation I am showing all work made in Alentejo, Portugal, during this residency.
My new ceramic work will be presented in Sala Rossio, and my newest paintings in the studio Branco in which I worked.

Presentation of my new ceramic work, Sala Rossio

When I started painting my first 3 azulejos of 40 x 30 cm. with Mestre Xico in 2011, I could have never expected this to become a complete new direction in my work.
In 2012 I continued with a few more azulejos & I painted two vases that the mestre had made by hand. After this residency I was sure that these ceramics were not just ‘a fling’, but that I really wanted to continue on this path. Due to this, at the end of 2012 I wrote my proposal for a research project, which told about my desire to research the Portuguese azulejo tradition and the Dutch Delftsblauw (Royal Blue) tradition, and I was curious how it would influence and contribute to my ceramic work. I would also like to show the differences in these traditions (and therefore also the difference in both countries) through the work I make.
In 2012 I made in Alentejo a series of 12 vases in 4 different shapes, made by hand by Mestre Xico after my drawings. In the Netherlands I also made a series of 12 vases both in only 2 different shapes (that I choose from the 4 ‘Portuguese’ shapes) ; for these shapes two moulds were made. 
Another really interesting difference is that in Portugal the colors are mixed for me, so you never know the exact outcome, because of the amount of water etcetera, and in the Netherlands I use paint from a bottle, so you know preciously what the color and how covering it will be after firing.
The azulejos I make in Alentejo are all consisting out of one tile (up to 40 x 30 cm.) , my dutch azulejos are consisting of several smaller tiles for one painting (tableaux).

I am hoping to present the results of both research projects next to one and another.
Thanks to the professionalism of the master in ceramics I can fully concentrate on painting the ceramics. Both in my paintings, graphic art as well as in my ceramic work, I like simplicity and spherical colors. These few colors nevertheless tell a lot, but also leave open more to the own imagination, about the atmosphere in the works. 
Also drawing plays a role in my ceramic work, I regularly scratch a drawing of desiccated flowers in the top layer, allowing the underlying red clay to become visible. These desiccated flowers for me stand symbol for "memento mori", as also the flowers in the vase will desiccate. Also the tangibility of these lines, that are deeply scratched into the clay, I find very interesting. 
My paintings are about trees, forests and paths, behind which lay new and other worlds. I try to seduce the viewer to enter my work, and discover what is at the end of the path or behind the hill. They tell about the temporality and timelessness of life.

This spring (2014) I made azulejos, in 3 different shades of blue, and in black, and made combinations of both. I also made 6 vases, that Mestre Xico made by hand, bigger and rounder than last year.
This year I painted in traditional blues, black, and the combination agua blue and black.
I was inspired by the horizons filled with the beautiful Alentejano trees : the ‘sobreiros no verão’, in the last vases in combination with on the other side of the vase a Dutch tree landscape.

Each time I am learning more about how to paint my images in this technique. Also the different shapes and roundings of the vases influence the way you work. The advantage is that during these residencies I can (in all techniques) work the whole day and also within these beautiful landscapes filled with inspiration, there for the development of my work is very much intensified.
This spring I also experimented with two new shapes and techniques, thanks to the two ceramic experts Mestre Xico and Luis.
Over the last few years I collected little ‘pia de agua bente’ as a souvenir, I loved their shapes. They hang next to my bed, and I really wanted to paint one. It was possible, and Luis made two pieces. It is my tribute to, my holy water for, nature. Especially here in Alentejo, where by the time I finished my residency it was really hot & dry, nature has to fight to survive. I painted them in classical blues.

Another new kind of azulejo, is the one in black clay, which I am really happy with. Because of the clay, the scratched out lines are black, and the azulejos are also painted in black. I am really happy with these results, and even more because of the connection to my black and white oil paintings. It seems that my paintings and ceramics are more and more compatible.
At this time I made two, but more to follow in the near future, because this I need to pursue this type of azulejo, which Luis know would fit perfectly.



Presentation of my new paintings, Estudio Branco

During this residency I wanted to follow the change in seasons within making my paintings.
I wanted to try to note these changes in color and translate them into paint, so that I could catch all the colors in this beautiful, but ever changing, season. When I arrived in Portugal in May everything was green, blue skies (spring), then because of the strong light & heat, everything started changing into lighter, even silver and gold-like colors.
I started working with a new color, by recommendation of my dear collegue ; gold green, and this gave some amazing results, it even resulted in canvasses painted only in this color. I have never painted a canvas in only 1 color. This intense color has a wide range of color within itself, and translated the light of Alentejo beautifully, and it has a traditional atmosphere and feel. I also used this color in combination with other colors.
First I experimented with this color in a small series. Then on a canvas of 100 x 140 cm. in combination with a real dark grey color, which is beautiful to translate the deepness in color and the strength of the light. So much light, makes the trees black.

I also strongly believe that my ceramic work, as well as painting, as graphic art, influences each other a lot, and while working in one technique you also grow within the other techniques.

Series of 36

I made a series of 36 small paintings, 24 x 30 cm. all horizontal, one for each day that I am here in Alentejo. Within this series I hope to catch the change of light, from green and blue, to almost white because of the intense light of the heat.
In my studio in the Netherlands I will select an order this serie, and I am hoping to present this series in line and all together.


In this residency I had the freedom to experiment with new techniques, new colors, and new motives.
I was lucky to have an outside studio for the first layers of the painting amongst the beautiful landscapes. Which also gave nature more influence in my work, the sun, heat, wind, and insect and sand. Also the inspiring landscapes all around, one walk and new inspiration arises.
The time here to fully concentrate and work long days, in these surroundings, are ideal.

I also was able to make some new short films, which will be presented in the future.
Also the Casa Miradour where I stayed, was a big influence in this residency, I painted her a lot the last two years, and saw beautiful sunsets and a lot of wildlife from there, what an inspiring place!

I am very happy with all results, and looking back I feel very satisfied and fulfilled with all the beautiful things I saw, beautiful experiences and conversations I had, and all the work I made.
So beautiful to paint with the color rhythm of nature! 
And of course all the new ideas I collected! 
With a big thank you to Ludger and Carolien of Fundacao Obras for making this possible!
Thank you all!










Populaire posts van deze blog